Original Butterfly Garden
Watch the Miracle of Metamorphosis up Close
This fun and educational kit gives children, students and families an unforgettable opportunity to watch caterpillars change into chrysalises and then emerge as beautiful Painted Lady Butterflies. Raise and feed your very own butterflies and then release them into the wild! The entire transformation from caterpillar to adult butterfly takes about three weeks.
See an Amazing Transformation
5 caterpillars (a live butterfly culture) will arrive in a clear plastic cup with all of the nutritious food they need. Place the cup in a safe place away from direct sunlight. The caterpillars will remain in the cup and will eat, spin silk and grow to TEN times their original size! After seven to ten days they will hang upside down and harden into chrysalises (chrysalises are also known as pupae).
Raise Your Very Own Butterflies
The Butterfly Garden Habitat is a reusable, cylindrical mesh container perfect for up close butterfly viewing! When not in use it folds flat for easy storage. Once the chrysalises have hardened, gently move them to the pop-up butterfly habitat. It will take about seven to ten more days for them to complete the transformation to adult butterflies. Everyone will want to keep a close eye on the habitat so they can witness the fascinating birth of their Painted Lady Butterflies.
Once your butterflies emerge, children will love feeding them! To make the butterfly nectar, thoroughly mix 3 teaspoons of sugar with 1 cup of water. Place fresh flowers in the habitat for your butterflies to rest on and then use the feeding pipette included to sprinkle the nectar on the flowers daily. Watch your butterflies eagerly sip the nectar with their long proboscises. Butterflies also love to feed from fresh slices of watermelon and oranges!
Set Your Butterflies Free!
Enjoy your butterflies for a few days, and then experience the excitement of letting them go to continue their amazing life cycle. Release your butterflies within a week of their emergence from the chrysalises when temperatures are above 55 degrees. Simply take the butterfly habitat out to your yard, unzip the cover, and let your butterflies go. Butterflies will often land on little hands and faces before flying away. Watch for your butterfly friends, as they may decide to remain in your garden for a few days!
: CHOKING HAZARD - Small parts. Not for children under 3 years.
- The Original Butterfly Garden Includes:
- Pop-up, reusable 11.5-inch tall mesh habitat perfect for butterfly viewing!
- Feeding Pipette
- Complete Live Butterfly Garden Instructions.
- A voucher to redeem a cup of 5 live baby caterpillars online. Please note that an additional $7.95 fee is required when you redeem your voucher. This fee covers the cost of express shipping and handling of your Cup of Caterpillars. 3 of the 5 caterpillars are guaranteed to develop into perfect specimens.
- Brand: Insect Lore.
- Item Number: 71010.
- Manufacturer Number: 1010.
- UPC: 735569010107.
- Recommended for ages : 4 to 11.
- Measures approximately: 11.50 x 2.25 x 11.50 inches..
- Weighs approximately: 1.00 pounds.
- Gender: Both.
- A family and classroom favorite for over 40 years!
- Insect Lore has shipped over 50 million butterflies since 1969.
- Experience the Miracle of Metamorphosis up close.
- An unforgettable learning experience for ages 4 and up
- Redeem voucher online for Cup of Caterpillars ($7.95 Shipping and Handling)
- 5 caterpillars (a live butterfly culture) and nutritious food shipped to your door
- Watch your caterpillars grow, harden into chrysalides and then transform into beautiful Painted Lady Butterflies.
- Insect Lore guarantees that at least 3 of the 5 caterpillars will successfully metamorphose into adult butterflies.
- Butterflies are coldblooded, so it is important to release them when temperatures are above 55 degrees Fahrenheit. If temperatures are below 55 degrees, keep your butterflies indoors and in their habitat for their entire life cycle.
- Live caterpillars are shipped to destinations within the Continental USA, Alaska and Canada. We cannot ship caterpillars to Hawaii.
- It is best to have your live caterpillars sent to a building (where temperatures are controlled) rather than to an outdoor mailbox.
- Please be prepared to receive shipment of your live caterpillars. Shipments of live caterpillars must be opened upon receipt. To ensure the survival of your live caterpillars, do not leave live shipments unattended.